"COACHING TO MAKE A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE"
What are the Objectives of the Program?
- To be pro-active in providing useful tools to volunteer youth coaches.
- To develop a deeper awareness in our coaches of their unique opportunity to impact young people in a positive way.
- Bring together both veteran and novice coaches to share philosophy, coaching methods, goals, expectation, problem solving and experiences.
- To make a very good CYC parish program even better.
- To meet the goals of the Archdiocesan Strategic Plan.
- To offer support and direction to the volunteer youth coach.
- To connect the principles of our faith to our players, parents and coaches, through sports.
What can your coaches expect?
Your coaches will receive a 70 to 80 page binder designed to familiarize them with essentially every phase of coaching. There will be in-depth discussions on:
- Coaches as Teachers
- Self Esteem Issues
- Yelling vs. Teaching
- In class development of a coaching Philosophy, Goals and Expectations
- An in-depth look at a Practice Pyramid coaching style utilizing "Individual Wins"
- A detailed review of proper Pre-Season Planning, In-Season checklist and Post-Season evaluations
- A detailed discussion on an effective Pre-Season "Parent and Player Meeting" which includes handouts discussing a "Code of Excellence" and a "Parent Participation Agreement" (all designed to reflect the coaches, the parent and the child's role with regard to: Sportsmanship, Respect and Responsibility).
- A detailed discussion on how to run an effective practice: "The Proactive Pyramid".
- Strategies in support of: "Protecting God's Children."
- Specific Objectives and Drills; by Sport and by Grade.
- An Age-Appropriate Approach.
- Assistance in making youth sports a reflection of our faith.
What is the Cost?
The Training program is free of charge to the head coach/manager of each of your CYC (K-8) teams. If a CYC parish Athletic Association wishes to send additional coaches or personnel there is a cost of $15.00 to cover materials and incidentals. Non-CYC coaches may attend at a cost of $40.00. (Revised, 1/1/04)
Who Must Attend?
The program is mandatory for all of your CYC (K-8) head coaches/managers. The program became effective with the with the Fall 2003 soccer and volleyball seasons. This is a one-time training session. Each following year only the new head coaches/managers will need to attend.
Do the Coaches need a Card?
After completing the Training session each participant will be sent a CYC coaches card. This card will be used in place of your current photo ID card for coaching and managing. If you are still an active roster player you must also keep your current photo ID.
Where are the Sessions?
Parish and districts are encouraged to schedule sessions as soon as possible. Arrangements can be made by calling BILL BOMMARITO at Coaching concepts, Inc. (314) 909-0500. Additionally we will have at least two monthly sessions at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center for individuals and smaller groups who might be unable to attend a local parish program. Simply check the CYC website, www.cycstl.net for dates and times.
Who is Bill Bommarito and Coaching Concepts, Inc. (CCI)?
- Bill is the founder and President of CCI - CCI is dedicated to the education of Volunteer Coaches - CCI's job is to educate so that coaching becomes easier and even more enjoyable.
- He grew up in St. Louis and has played (9 years) and coached (16 years) in the CYC program.
- He was president & director of a CYC parish program - Umpires in the CYC program.
- He played 4 years of high school football and hockey (St. Peter grade school, Vianney High School) and 4 years of college hockey (University of Dayton).
- He taught business for 6 years in two high schools in Ohio and coached football and baseball.
- He was on the committee which developed the CYC Coaches Handbook.
- He also created a 30 minute video and 24 page workbook, "Volunteer Coaching: The Winning Formula" to help volunteer coaches to better understand their role as "coach".